Sunday, October 26, 2008

Endau Rompin National Park - Butterflies

What is Butterflies
A butterfly is an insect of the order Lepidoptera. Like all Lepidoptera, butterflies are notable for their unusual life cycle with a larval caterpillar stage, an inactive pupal stage, and a spectacular metamorphosis into a familiar and colourful winged adult form. Most species are day-flying so they regularly attract attention. The diverse patterns formed by their brightly coloured wings and their erratic yet graceful flight have made butterfly watching a fairly popular hobby.

Butterflies comprise the true butterflies (superfamily Papillionoidea), the skippers (superfamily Hesperioidea) and the moth-butterflies (superfamily Hedyloidea). Butterflies exhibit polymorphism, mimicry and aposematism. Some migrate over long distances. Some butterflies have evolved symbiotic and parasitic relationships with social insects such as ants. Butterflies are important economically as one of the major agents of pollination. In addition, a few species are pests, because they can damage domestic crops and trees.

Culturally, butterflies are a popular motif in the visual and literary arts. It is a popular belief that butterflies have very short life spans. However, butterflies in their adult stage can live from a week to nearly a year depending on the species. Butterflies may have one or more broods per year. The number of generations per year varies from temperate to tropical regions with tropical regions showing a trend towards multiviltinism.

source from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly

Dear friends,
This patch of pristine forest would excite any nature lover. You may be the lucky one able to find a new discoveries here. As I tense to enjoy bird-watching more, here are some of spp of butterflies and moth that have caught my attention. Some I yet to ID them because I did not a sufficient field guides to do so. If you know their name do drop a comment yar. Banded Demon in the family of Hesperiidae Malayan Bush Brown. Want to know more of it's life circle click on the url link specify below.
http://butterflycircle.blogspot.com/2008/05/life-history-of-malayan-bush-brown.html
For this it caught my attention cause I yet to notice any butterfly rest in this manner.
Common Tree Nymph normally one would notice it fluttering around like a piece of white tissue paper. For these photo of Common Tree Nymph photos I waited there for more than 30 mins to admire them fluttering around and wait for them just to stop for a little while. Thank you GOD for signal up a red traffic lights to allow me to admire these beautiful creatures.

That day I do recall it was my 1st time notice this Black and White Helen butterfly. Well Most probably I place my priority Bird Watching in a higher rank than butterfly watching..
For this I notice this at Kuala Jasin, it was resting after the rain.
I wish for this it perched at a different angle cause this butterfly is very beautiful. My 1st encounter on this butterfly was at Bukit Rengit. Since then that photo I have turn it to be a wallpaper on my working PC. That piece of photo is in earlier sharing at
http://wcm-birding.blogspot.com/2008/06/lesson-i-learned-today-what-to-do-when.html
Moth who are nocturnal would be the agent of pollination for flowers that blooms at night. Moth are in different sizes. The biggest is the Atlas Moth and we have a number of super micro Moth as well.

Besides these I also do noted and able to ID Rajah Brooke's , Banded Imperial are also present here. If you are indulge in butterfly/moth watching I believe that you could able to notice more species then me.

No comments: